The Carngham Inn was a hotel near Ballarat, <1844-1858>.
The hotel was in or near Carngham, Victoria. When the land on which the hotel was sols in 1853 it was described as:
Carngham, on Baillie's Creek, road from Melbourne to Portland, and about twenty five miles northwest of Buninyong...On allotment 172, is built the Carngham Inn, the value of which must be added to the upset price, and paid for at the time of sale.
In business in the 1840's, this is one of the districts earliest hotels.
The hotel was offered for sale in March 1844. It was described:
FOR SALE, that well known Public House called the CARNGHAM INN, Buninyong about 80 miles from Geelong, on the Portland Bay Road, as occupied by Mr F. F. Levett, with Furniture, Bullocks, Dray, Stockyard, Garden, &c. &c.
The hotel was described by a traveler in April 1858:
Another mile brought me to the inn, which turned out to be all that it had been described to me and more. It is a two storey brick house and, the landlord told me, fourteen years old ; it might easily be forty, so old fashioned does it look with its diminutive doors and windows. Here clean water and towels almost reconciled me to life, and a comfortable breakfast of real country fare, laid out upon an irreproachable table cloth, completed the operation. The little parlor in which it was served was a perfect gem with its two little windows, a third-rate fuchsia in the one, and a third-rate Hydrangea in the other, planted in pots so delightfully antique, that if they were among the personal effects of the very earliest settlers, they must have been old fashioned then.
- In May 1847 the hotel was the starting place for hunting by Mr. Ferrer's Hounds.
- In September 1847, the hotel was advertised as the place where a champion horse, Donald Caird, would be available as a stud for the season.
- In May 1855 a Mr. Stewart was given a congratulatory dinner at the hotel for his role in apprehending two bushrangers near Ercildoune.
- In September 1855, the Squatters' Association was formed at a meeting at the hotel with the purpose of promoting the interests of local squatter.
- 1853 'GOVERNMENT LAND SALES.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 21 September, p. 4. , viewed 14 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4797253
- 1844 'Advertising', Geelong Advertiser (Vic. : 1840 - 1845), 11 March, p. 3. (Morning.), viewed 14 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article92677743
- 1858 'CARNGHAM.', The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), 7 April, p. 6. , viewed 29 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article154858127
- 1847 'Hunting Appointments.', Geelong Advertiser and Squatters' Advocate (Vic. : 1845 - 1847), 14 May, p. 2. (EVENING), viewed 15 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article94445203
- 1847 'Advertising', The Melbourne Argus (Vic. : 1846 - 1848), 28 September, p. 1. , viewed 15 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4762342
- 1855 'BUSHRANGERS', Geelong Advertiser and Intelligencer (Vic. : 1851 - 1856), 1 May, p. 2. (DAILY.), viewed 14 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article91864956
- 1855 'SQUATTERS' ASSOCIATION.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 6 September, p. 6. , viewed 14 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4817353