Charlie Napier Casino
From Hotels of Ballarat
- For other hotels with the same or similar names see Charlie Napier Hotel
The Charlie Napier Casino was a licensed premises in Carngham, Victoria, <1857-1858.
The casino was mentioned in newspapers because of the behavior:
A casino, called the "Charlie Napier" has already become notorious for the irregularity and "rowdiness" of its proceedings.
By April 1858 the first gold rush had ended, and the casino appears to have been abandoned:
Among the tents wholly deserted, places of public amusement were most numerous. A large building, describing itself in large letters as the Charlie Napier Casino, bore its reverses but poorly, and the ghosts of colored posters which kept possession of its walls seemed to mock at its misfortunes.
- In January 1858 the miners met at the casino to discuss the problems of mining on private land and the remuneration that the land owner was seeking from them:
A large meeting was held on Saturday evening at the rear of the Charlie Napier casino for the purpose of taking into consideration what steps the miners had better adopt, in order to meet their present exigencies.
- 1857 'CARNGHAM.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 26 November, p. 2. , viewed 29 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66045363
- 1858 'CARNGHAM.', The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), 7 April, p. 6. , viewed 29 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article154858127
- 1858 'CARNGHAM.', The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), 29 January, p. 6. , viewed 29 Sep 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article154859258