|Other names||George Inn|
|Evidence||Hotel (1902) still in operation|
The George Hotel is a hotel in Ballarat, Victoria, 1853-present.
The George Inn was licensed in 1853, a few months after Thomas Bath opened the Ballarat Hotel. The first owners and publicans were George Howe and Francis Herring. Howe and Herring had been at Golden Point digging for gold in 1851.
In December 1883, the newspaper reported on the poor condition of the footpath outside the hotel:
Accidents prevented ere better than any number of homilies after they have occurred. We, therefore, call the attention of the authorities to the exceedingly dangerous state of the paving in Lydiard street in front of the George hotel. Apart from the unsightliness of its generally uneven surface there is one hole in particular which it admirably adapted for tripping any unwary passer-by, and either breaking the leg or spraining the ankle of the victim of municipal neglect.
In December 1893, the hotel unsuccessfully applied for a late night license:
Miss M. J. Fern, licensee of the George hotel, Lydiard street, applied to the annual sittings of the Licensing Court yesterday, for permission to keep the hotel open until 1.30 a.m. Mr H. S. Barrett, who appeared to support the application, urged that such a privilege would be a great convenience to mining men who arrived home by the late trains, but on its being pointed out that already there were four hotels in Lydiard street holding late licenses, the court refused the application
The original hotel was demolished in 1902, and a new 75 room hotel was built, designed by Ballarat architects, E. and B. Smith.
In 1917 the hotel was issued with a special permit to serve alcohol with meals between 6.00pm and 8.00pm.
- In September 1864 the hotel was the venue for a meeting of the Ballaratshire Anti-Transportation Committee.
- George Howe and Francis Herring were the first publicans and owners of the hotel. Howe had his license renewed in June 1857.
- In 1862-1863 the publican was Charles Forster.
- In July 1864 the publican was W. Bignell.
- In December 1873 the license was granted to William H. Ayers.
- In December 1874 the publican was Lucy Jane Howe.
- In June 1891 the license was transferred from Charles Forster to Daniel Fern.
- C. E. House, Proprietor, 1899
- http://www.georgehotelballarat.com.au/ George Hotel website
- Hargreaves, John. Ballarat Hotels Past and Present, pg. 2, 1943, Ballarat
- 1883 'NEWS AND NOTES.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 29 December, p. 2. , viewed 20 Jan 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article201620608
- 1893 'No title', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 16 December, p. 2. , viewed 03 Apr 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article209801684
- George Hotel, Victorian Heritage Database, http://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/73
- 1917 'BALLARAT LICENSING COURT.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 19 January, p. 4, viewed 30 January, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1591243
- 1864 'Advertising', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 23 September, p. 3. , viewed 26 Mar 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66348289
- 1857 'GENERAL ANNUAL LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 13 June, p. 2. , viewed 10 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66042654
- 1862 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 18 June, p. 2, viewed 12 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66324917
- 1863 'BALLARAT WEST PUBLICANS' ANNUAL LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 12 June, p. 4, viewed 10 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article72514938
- 1864 'DISTRICT PUBLICANS' LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 2 July, p. 4. , viewed 10 Oct 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66346137
- 1873 'LICENSING BENCH.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 24 December, p. 4. , viewed 26 Jun 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article201608890
- 1874 'CITY LICENSING BENCH.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 16 December, p. 4. , viewed 08 Mar 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208250343
- 1891 'No title', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 3 June, p. 2. , viewed 26 Apr 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article209715941