Learmonth

From Hotels of Ballarat
LearmonthFormerBank

Learmonth is a small town 23 kms northwest of Ballarat. It was first settled in 1837 and is named after Lake Learmonth. The lake was named after two squatters, brothers Thomas Livingston Learmonth and Somerville Learmonth who began raising sheep here in 1838.

Hotels[edit | edit source]

In 1861 the Licensing Court addressed the issue of the lack of suitable accommodation in the town:

New application for an hotel in the township of Learmonth. Mr Barton for the applicant made a strong statement as to the wants of Learmonth in the way of hotels, and quoted the letter of the Argus correspondent who lately visited the district, to the effect that there was no proper accommodation for travellers at Learmonth. The application was granted by a majority of the Bench - the Chairman and Mr Morton dissenting, on the grounds that another hotel was not required at the place, unless it was a building containing first class accommodation.[1]

List of hotels[edit | edit source]

A list of hotels that have operated in Learmonth.

People[edit | edit source]

A list of people who have worked and lived in Learmonth.

References[edit | edit source]

  1. 1861 'GENERAL LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 4 June, p. 1. (SUPPLEMENT TO THE STAR.), viewed 23 Jan 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66339661