Hotels of Ballarat
The history of Ballarat and district's hotels and publicans.
Ballarat was the centre of one of the world's richest goldfields, and thousands of hotels were opened in the city and its surrounding districts. Some of these hotels are still operating, others are still standing but used for other purposes, but most have disappeared completely. This wiki records the history of all these hotels, and the people who lived and worked in them. This wiki began in November 2016, based on earlier work on the Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project. The pages have been reformatted and edited to this site's requirements. Currently (May 2017) there are over 1000 Ballarat and district hotels listed in the indexes.
To help new contributors, there are two new help pages:
- The Public Bar - a place to talk and ask questions
- The Billiard Room - a place to play and experiment without changing anything else.
Details and history of hotels in Ballarat and surrounding districts.
The details about Ballarat and its surrounding areas included on this site.
Details of Ballarat's streets and the hotels that were in them.
- Miner's Right Hotel, Ballarat
- Sturt Hotel, Ballarat
- Kent Hotel, Ballarat
- Clanricarde Hotel, Ballarat
- Shamrock, Rose and Thistle Hotel, at Dead Horse
- Royal Don Hotel, Ballarat
- Carriers' Arms, Bungaree
- Fussell's Hotel, Ballarat
- Distillery Hotel, Warrenheip
- Travellers' Rest, Warrenheip
- Royal Oak Hotel, Warrenheip
- Phoenix Hotel, Warrenheip
- McCabe's Hotel, Barkstead
- Keane's Hotel, Bungaree
- Bungaree Waggoners' Arms, Bungaree
- Beehive Hotel, Dean
- Market Hotel, Park Street, Ballarat
- Sportsmans' Arms, Alfredton
- Glenpark Hotel, Bungaree
- Australian Hotel, Bungaree
- Rifle Butts Hotel, Ballarat
- Royal Oak Hotel in Bridge Street, Ballarat
- Edward Cantor
- William Thompson
- Mary Jane Flannery
- John Mason
- Mary Ann Mason
- Peter Mason
- Roy's Hotel, Ballarat
- Main Road Fire 1859
- Kemp's Hotel, Magpie
- Ballarat Licensed Victuallers' Association
- Union Hotel, Kingston
- White Swan Hotel, Creswick
- William Meyer
- Rise and Shine Hotel, Bald Hills
- Wellington Hotel, Bald Hills
- Rose of Australia Hotel, Cabbage Tree
- Kangaroo Hotel, Slaty Creek
- Mack's Hotel at Bullarook
- Diggers' Arms at Long Point.
- Forest Hill Hotel
- Frenchman's Bridge Hotel
- Bridge Hotel in Ascot Road
- G. W. Simpson
- Commercial Hotel, Bald Hills
- Bush Inn, Creswick
- Crown Hotel, Newlyn
You can help
You can assist this project by:
- Creating an article about a hotel, using this Hotel Page template.
- Creating an article about a person, using this Person Page template.
- Requesting an article about a person, hotel, or place.
- You can add information to pages - please cite the source.
Links to working with MediaWiki: