Hotels of Ballarat[edit | edit source]
There are now 1,716 Ballarat and district hotels included in the index (October 2019).
The history of Ballarat and district's hotels and publicans.
Ballarat was the centre of one of the world's richest goldfields, and thousands of hotels were opened in the city and its surrounding districts. Some of these hotels are still operating, others are still standing but used for other purposes, but most have disappeared completely. This wiki records the history of Ballarat hotels and the people who lived and worked in them. The hotels in this project cover an area about 50kms radius from Ballarat.
Genealogists, family and local history researchers will find a this to be unique encyclopedia of Ballarat's hotels and publicans. There are now 557 biographies including 533 Publicans (as of October 2019).
This research on Ballarat's hotels and pubs is a work in progress, and new information is being added everyday as different sources are checked. If you can't find the history of a Ballarat hotel today, it maybe added tomorrow, so please keep checking. To see the most recent additions, see the list below. Click here to see the latest hotel updates.
To help new contributors, there are three help pages:
- The Public Bar - a place to talk and ask questions
- The Billiard Room - a place to play and experiment without changing anything else.
- The Cellar - a place where things are stored for using later.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Details and history of hotels in Ballarat and surrounding districts.
The details about Ballarat and its surrounding areas included on this site.
Details of Ballarat's streets and the hotels that were in them.
Mining companies in the district.
The maps of known sites
and more...[edit | edit source]
- In March 2018, new categories expanded the original project to include breweries, brewers, distilleries, beer shops, and sly grog sellers.
- In December 2018, new categories again expanded the project to include information about the gold mines which were responsible for the economic boom that led to the establishment of so many hotels.
- In August 2019 we began to add maps (using Openstreetmaps) to sites where the exact locations were known.
- Numbered list item
Latest additions[edit | edit source]
You can help[edit | edit source]
You can assist this project by:
- Creating an article about a hotel, using this Hotel Page template.
- Creating an article about a person, using this Person Page template.
- Requesting an article about a person, hotel, or place.
- You can add information to pages - please cite the source.
Help pages[edit | edit source]
Links to working with MediaWiki:
Origins[edit | edit source]
The Hotels of Ballarat wiki began in November 2016, based on earlier work on the Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project. Since then there have been 17,851 edits to the project.