The Mechanics' Hotel was a hotel in Smythesdale, Victoria, <1870-1878.
In July 1878, the publican was taken to court for not paying the rent:
John Wright v T. Formby, £2, rent of the Mechanics' hotel. Defendant admitted that he owed the money, and was willing to pay it, but said that two parties claimed the money, and he did not know which to pay. Mr Wright deposed that the property belonged to his wife, who died without making a will. The property was to be for the benefit of the children, and the plaintiff was their natural guardian. Case dismissed.
In December 1878 the publican, Thomas Formby had the license renewal for the hotel refused by the Licensing Court:
Thomas Formby, Mechanics' hotel, Smythesdale. Mr Hockley for applicant Senior-constable Crampton, instructed by the inspector of licensed houses, objected to a renewal, on the grounds of insufficient accommodation and the dilapidated state of the premises. The applicant admitted that the premises were not in a good state of repair, but said the landlord had promised to make some improvements early next year. The bench decided to inspect the premises, and on returning refused the renewal.
- Roxborough Company; a special general meeting, December 1874. 
- Roxborough Company. a quarterly meeting, May 1875.
- In May 1870, the license was granted to John Wright.
- In December 1873 the license was granted to Mr. John O'Connor.
- In March 1877, O'Connor had transferred his license to the Royal Hotel, but it was burnt down before he could move in.
- In December 1877 the license was transferred from Mrs. Wright to Thomas Formby.
- In December 1878 the application for a license by Thomas Formby was refused.
- 1873 'LICENSING BENCH.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 23 December, p. 2. , viewed 27 Jul 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article201608881
- 1878 'SMYTHESDALE POLICE COURT.', The Ballarat Courier (Vic. : 1869 - 1880; 1914 - 1918), 31 July, p. 4. , viewed 18 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article210367738
- 1878 'SMYTHESDALE LICENSING BENCH.', The Ballarat Courier (Vic. : 1869 - 1880; 1914 - 1918), 18 December, p. 4. , viewed 18 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article210374132
- 1874 'ROXBURGH COMPANY, SMYTHESDALE.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 5 December, p. 3. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208250077
- 1875 'MINING MEETING.', The Ballarat Courier (Vic. : 1869 - 1880; 1914 - 1918), 3 May, p. 3. , viewed 17 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article207641860
- 1870 'POLICE.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 7 May, p. 4. , viewed 13 Jan 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article219308364
- 1877 'BURNING OF THE ROYAL HOTEL SMYTHESDALE.', The Ballarat Courier (Vic. : 1869 - 1880; 1914 - 1918), 27 March, p. 3. , viewed 18 Aug 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article207820313
- 1877 'POLICE INTELLIGENCE.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 1 December, p. 4. , viewed 06 Oct 2017, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199282489
- 1877 'POLICE INTELLIGENCE.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 22 December, p. 4. , viewed 12 Apr 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199282991