Two-Mile Hill Hotel

From Hotels of Ballarat
Two-Mile Hill Hotel
Picture needed
History
Town Clunes
Known dates 1870
Demolished Destroyed by fire, 2 December 1870

The Two-Mile Hill Hotel was a hotel near Clunes, Victoria, <1870.

Site[edit | edit source]

The hotel was near Clunes, on the Ballarat Road.

Background[edit | edit source]

History[edit | edit source]

The road near the Two-Mile Hill was in poor condition, and was repaired by a group of locals:

That very bad and boggy part of the Ballarat and Clunes road adjacent to Schroder's farm, near the Two-mile hill, has, by the united energy of Messrs Ogilvy (of Ascot), M'Culloch (of Tourello), F. J. Matthews (of Clunes), and Cobb and Company, been rendered passable. It certainly does not reflect much credit on either the Ballaratshire or Talbotshire councils (remarks our local correspondent) that a comparatively paltry piece of work, which has been so long and urgently required by the public, should have to be at last completed by the generosity of private persons.[1]

The hotel was offered for lease in January 1870:

TO BE LET.—The TWO-MILE HILL HOTEL, Ballarat road, Clunes, with capital garden attached. Apply G. E. FINNIS, Sturt street; or at the premises.[2]

The hotel was destroyed by fire on 2 December 1870:

A FIRE AT THE TWO-MILE HILL HOTEL, CLUNES. The following particulars of a fire which yesterday afternoon totally destroyed the Two-mile Hill hotel, near Clunes, appears in the Ballarat Courier-. — Mr. Schroder, who kept the house, was away at the Ballarat races, leaving his wife and children and her sister and mother at home. The women were engaged in washing when flames burst out from the apartment where a fire, in which was some pine-wood, was burning. They had only time to rescue the children before the whole place was on fire. The flames spread so quickly that before assistance could be rendered there was nothing left undestroyed except the two chimney stacks and the galvanised iron roof. They lost all their clothes and effects, and £14 in money. The hotel had been insured, but our informant was not aware whether the policy had expired or not. The fire is supposed to have originated from the flying of blazing splinters of pine on to the room paper. The first intelligence of his misfortune reached Mr. Schroder at Ascot, while he was on his return home from the races.[3]


Community Involvement[edit | edit source]

The People[edit | edit source]

  • In December 1870 the publican was Mr. Schroder.[3]


See also[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. 1868 'NEWS AND NOTES.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 6 July, p. 2. , viewed 17 Jul 2023, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article113845494
  2. 1870 'Advertising', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 3 January, p. 3. , viewed 18 Jul 2023, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article112857423
  3. 3.0 3.1 1870 'A FIRE AT THE TWO-MILE HILL HOTEL, CLUNES.', The Herald (Melbourne, Vic. : 1861 - 1954), 3 December, p. 3. , viewed 17 Jul 2023, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article244720333


External Links[edit | edit source]